OLX acquires eBay and Craigslist
Saturday April 1, 2006, 8:00 am ET
NEW YORK – Apr. 1, 2006 – OLX, the new leader in online classifieds and auctions, announced today that it acquired eBay and Craigslist.
eBay and Craigslist will be immediately renamed OLX. “Craigslist’s number one mission has always been to provide a public service to its community. Working with OLX serves that mission as it brings a slew of great new features to our community with the continued commitment to be free for consumers” said Craig Newmark, founder of Craigslist. “eBay’s and Craigslist’s user bases will allow us to provide unrivaled liquidity in all the major categories” said Fabrice Grinda, co-CEO of OLX.
eBay and Craigslist users will get access to OLX unique features including:
- A city, neighborhood and zip code database so we can cover an entire country and not just pre-selected cities
- A distance field allowing you to see postings within a certain range of your zip code in the countries where it is possible
- Ability to post items in virtual worlds (e.g.; SecondLife)
- Ability to include videos and pictures in listings
- Ajax WYSIWYG editor for richer listings
- Ability to comment on listings to create a stronger community
- Advanced search allowing searches at variable regional settings
- Auction and Buy It Now options and a rating system for the For Sale category
- Ability to post listings in any language in any country
- Ability to view the site in any country in any language
- Global reach
- Mobile version
Users are encouraged to try out OLX now at www.olx.com in anticipation of all the great features they will be receiving in the near future.
About OLX, Inc.
Founded in 2006, OLX offers a new generation of classified and auction service providing a more local service on a global level. OLX includes classified listings for jobs, housing, goods and services, personals, events and community, plus a wide variety of discussion forums. OLX is based in New York and has offices in Buenos Aires. OLX is a privately held company. For more information, visit www.olx.com.
About eBay Inc.
Founded in 1995, eBay pioneers communities built on commerce, sustained by trust, and inspired by opportunity. eBay enables ecommerce on a local, national and international basis with an array of websites – including the eBay Marketplace, PayPal, Skype, Kijiji, Rent.com and Shopping.com – that bring together millions of buyers and sellers every day.
Founded in 1995 by Craig Newmark, craigslist is widely known as an archetype of online community – a democratic, trustworthy, and efficient platform for fulfilling basic human needs, as guided by real world communities worldwide. craigslist includes classified listings for jobs, housing, goods and services, personals, events, and community, plus a wide variety of discussion forums.