As I am from Nice I keep getting asked what to do when visiting the South of France. Here are my recommendations:
- Eat dinner at “La Petite Maison”, my favorite restaurant in the world! Make reservations ahead of time. Once you are there tell Nicole you are coming from Fabrice Grinda and you want to try the sampling menu with sea bass as the main dish.
- For great local fare in a more casual setting, eat at “Le Safari” on “Le Cours Saleya”
- Walk on “La Promenade des Anglais,” “La Zone Pietone”, “Le Cours Saleya” and visit “Le Château”
- Eat Fenochio ice cream and sorbet in “Le Vieux Nice” (over 70 home made flavors!)
- Cultural activities include the Matisse Museum, Museum of Modern Art, etc.
St. Paul de Vence:
- Beautiful little village 30 minutes away from Nice that gives you a sense for the relaxed life on the Cote d’Azur
- Eat at La Colombe d’Or. Don’t miss looking at their art collection which includes a Picasso!
- Explore the old town and its art galleries
- Walk on “les ramparts”
- Take a stroll in the gardens of “La Fondation Maeght” and admire their modern and contemporary art collection
- 30 minutes East of Nice by car or train
- Just walk around the city and the main Casino it’s beautiful
- 30 minutes West of Nice by car or train
- Most well known for “La Croisette”
- 1 hour 30 minutes West of Nice by car or 20 minutes by helicopter from Nice airport
- It’s the “Ibiza” of France – beautiful and rich people go party there
- Walk around the town, eat lunch or dinner on “La Place des Lys,” walk alongside the huge boats in the harbor, eat ice cream at “Barbarac” (70 amazing flavors).
- Visit the beautiful sand beaches “Les Plages de Pampelonne”, especially “Club 55” or “Kai Largo” 20 minutes outside of town (great places for lunch too). Go to “Nikki Beach” if you want to see how the young idle rich party.
- Go to the night club: “Les Caves du Roy”
Nice, Monaco, Cannes and St. Paul can all be done from where you are staying in or near any of those cities. You will need to rent a car to get around.
Stay a few nights in or near Saint Tropez. With the nights you will have there, you will not want to be doing any commuting!